Singapore-United States Third Country Training Programme
Workshop on Biological Threats
Start Date: 9 December 2019 - End Date: 13 December 2019
Closing Date for Nomination: 11 October 2019 (Nominations Closed)
The five-day course aims to achieve capability building in laboratory analysis of biological samples. During this course, the participants will gain knowledge and experience in the processing of environmental and clinical samples for detection of biological agents related to the Biological Weapons Convention. This will contribute to building a network of regional experts on CBR issues that can spur continued collaboration on this subject matter after the course ends. Participants will achieve specific competencies for incorporation into safety programmes by laboratories that use highly pathogenic biological materials. Participants will utilise lessons learnt in the workshop during simulated scenarios on the last day of the course. The course conveys the understanding of biological threats through lectures and sharing of experiences during disease outbreaks and incidents. The course would also encompass environmental sampling, surveillance and strategies for pathogen identification. Hands-on sessions are planned to equip the participants with knowledge of safe practices in the laboratory, and with the necessary skill sets to respond to a biological threat event. Participants will also partake in a table top exercise involving biological threat release scenarios.
- Mid-level government human health or agricultural microbiology laboratory officials
Applicants Should Be
- Working in a laboratory setting, conducting research involving countering the threat of dangerous pathogens
- Planning, organising, and overseeing laboratory programmes related to countering the threat of dangerous pathogens
- Nominated by their Government
- Proficient in English
- In good health
- Prepared to participate actively in the programme
Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Timor-Leste
Terms of Award
This award typically covers:
- Economy Class round-trip air ticket
- Daily Transfers
- Course Fees
- Living Allowance
Step 1 Invitation.
The General Information Brochure will be conveyed to eligible countries/territories/inter-governmental organisations about twelve weeks prior to the commencement of a course. You can also find more information about courses under the SCP on this Website.
Step 2 Application.
Interested applicants should be suitably qualified and holding relevant portfolios to the programme you are applying to. Please complete the online form that can be accessed via the button below and obtain endorsement from your Supervisor and designated Focal Points for Technical Assistance
Step 3 Confirmation.
Successful applicants will receive a Conditional Letter of Acceptance and Confirmation Letter via email.
- Please check your email and submit the necessary travel documents/flight tickets to confirm your attendance as early as possible.
- Your place is confirmed once the travel documents/flight tickets are verified.
- Please ensure that your passport or travel document has a minimum of six-month validity period and (if required) you have obtained the visa(s) for transits and/or entry into Singapore.
- Please bring along the Conditional Letter of Acceptance to Singapore to facilitate airport clearance.
This Course has limited seatings. Selection of candidates for the limited number of training awards will be based on merit.